Summer is almost here, and whether you’re trying to shed a few pounds to fit into your favorite swim suit, or kick starting a training regiment, incorporate Almond Milk into your daily routine to help you get back into shape! Almond milk is an amazing super food so read on to get the inside scoop and be healthy for this summer’s adventures! (+ 5 smoothie recipes that use this super drink!)
ALMOND MILK BENEFITS:
- It is 50% lower in calories than cow’s milk. That means you don’t have to stress if you are trying to cut back. Simply swap out your regular milk for almond and you are already on your way!
- Almond milk has 0% cholesterol or saturated fat. So for those of you who need to cut back on that as well, fear not, almond milk is coming to the rescue.
- Unsweetened almond milk has almost no sugar. Regular milk contains 13g of sugar, and almond milk contains 2g of sugar.
- It doesn’t affect your blood sugar. Almond milk is low in carbs, which means it won’t increase your blood sugar levels. Because of its low glycemic index, your body will use the carbs as energy so the sugars aren’t stored as fat (score!).
- NO lactose! This is perfect for all of you lactose intolerant people, and even those who AREN’T lactose intolerant. Dairy products have been known to wreck havoc on skin (mainly in the acne department) so starting to cut some of that out can be a huge help.
- It doesn’t require refrigeration. That means you can take it on camping trips and it instantly opens up a world of food possibilities you wouldn’t have had before. Cereals, soups, oatmeal…all of that becomes possible!
- It is SUPER simple to make. Cow milk isn’t exactly the easiest to get your hands on if you want to make it yourself (unless you happen to have a cow grazing in your backyard right now), but almond milk is incredibly simple. All you have to do is pulverize the almonds in a blender and add water. Then strain the pulp and the liquid left is…you guessed it…almond milk! It’s almost laughably easy.
FIVE FREE SMOOTHIE RECIPES THAT USE ALMOND MILK INSTEAD OF REGULAR MILK:
Recipe #1: Berry Berry Good
1 whole banana, 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup raspberries, 2 cups vanilla almond milk
Recipe #2: Sunrise Surprise
1 cup raspberries, 1 cup mango, 1/2 banana, 1 orange, 1 cup vanilla almond milk
Recipe #3: Crazy for Kiwi
1 kiwi, 1 1/2 cup watermelon, 1 1/2 cup grapes, 1 cup vanilla almond milk
Recipe #4: Good For You Greens
1 cup spinach, 1 cup pineapple, 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup vanilla almond milk
Recipe #5: Pineapple Princess
1 cup pineapple, 1 1/2 cup raspberries, 1 cup mango, 1/2 banana, 1 cup vanilla almond milk